Ashburton Intermediate opened in 1974 on the site of the former Ashburton High School. The roll was generated by the decapitation of Year Seven and Eight students from Allenton, Hampstead, Netherby, Ashburton Borough, Tinwald, Eiffleton, Chertsey, Fairton and Flemington schools.
The roll peaked at 650 students but has reduced over time with changes to the structure of education in Mid-Canterbury in general.
Over time the school’s facilities have changed as older buildings have been demolished and replaced with newer or relocatable buildings. The original office and classroom block on Cass Street was demolished in 1976 and replaced with the existing hall and administration block. The classrooms themselves were delivered to the site as relocatable, in 1973 and supplemented the rooms in the 1950 Nelson Block on the school’s southern boundary.
The school was officially opened on April 19th 1974 by the Minister of Education, Mr P Amos, and overseen by the foundation Principal, Mr Thomas Morgan. Through his hard work a successful learning environment was established for future generations.
Although the existence of Intermediates are often challenged, the school has always maintained high standards, and been a successful option for two important years of learning.
The school has always maintained a positive reputation throughout the district and this continues to the present day.